New home construction is a huge project, and can seem overwhelming to people who are new to the process. However, just like any large task, it is easy to handle if you break it down into steps, and building a home has many advantages. The key to reducing stress during the process is to make the right decisions, one step at a time.
- Have the right plan. Choose a builder with a good reputation, who has the skill and experience to build a home to your specifications. Make sure your personalities are a good fit, and be sure to check references. Then carefully consider the needs of your family when choosing your floor plan, being sure to stick to a reasonable budget.
- Before you get started, make sure you understand all the terms. Look your contract over with an attorney and your builder, and be sure there are clear dates for each stage of construction, with a definite statement about who will pay for added costs due to delay. Do not assume that the terms of the contract cannot be changed, because there is also room to negotiate. Be sure that you hire your own inspector to check the work throughout construction.
- Be involved, and vigilant. You are your own best advocate, so take an active interest in the building process. Ask questions about anything you do not understand, or anything that seems wrong. It is your house, and you need to be satisfied with the end result.
- Understand how long each phase of building will take:
- Preparing the site and laying the foundation – three weeks.
- Framing – three to four weeks
- Exterior Finishes – one week
- Mechanical Rough-Ins – four weeks
- Insulation and Air Sealing – one to two weeks
- Interior Finishes – five to six weeks
- Landscaping – two weeks
- Walk- through – one week
- Plan a walk through with the builder before closing. You want to be sure that everything is as it should be, before all the legalities are completed. Allow time for the builder to make necessary repairs, and allow yourself time to follow through and make sure the repairs have been completed.
New home construction may seem like a great deal of work, but building your own home has many advantages. First, building your own home can cost significantly less than buying one that is pre-built, and yours will be customized to your specifications!
Clark Wilson Builder
With more than 35 years in the residential real estate business, it’s clear that you can trust Clark Wilson Builder to deliver the dream home you’ve always wanted. Whether you’re a first time homebuyer or a retiree looking to move into your fantasy home, the process starts with filling out our contact form. You can also call us at (512) 423-6262 for answers to all your questions. Stay up-to-date on the Austin, Texas building industry by reading our blog, finding us on Facebook and following us on Twitter.